Muffaletta is packed with cured meats and a great olive salad. If you’re going on a picnic or just fancy making a seriously good sandwich, this stacked southern US super-sandwich from The Lockhart in London is for you.
- round white loaf 1 large, flattish
- coppa 150g, sliced
- mortadella 200g, sliced
- napoli salami (or cured salami of choice) 150g, sliced
- provolone 200g, sliced
- olive salad 200g (recipe below)
- green pitted olives 200g
- black pitted olives 90g
- giardiniera (mixed pickled veg such as cauli, courgette) 50g
- garlic 4 cloves, sliced
- capers 3 tsp, chopped
- dried oregano 1 tsp
- red chilli flakes 1 tsp
- white wine vinegar 2 tbsp
- roasted red pepper from a jar 50g, chopped
- spring onions 2, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- STEP 1
To make the olive salad, pulse the olives, giardiniera and garlic in a food processor. Add the capers, herbs, chilli and vinegar and pulse again until chopped, then mix in the pepper and spring onion with enough olive oil to bring it together (about 3-4 tbsp).
- STEP 2
Halve the bread and divide 200g of the olive salad between the top and bottom. Layer the meat and cheese on the bottom and top with the other half. Cut into big wedges to serve.