Well here we are, half way through November and the cold of winter has officially set in. On these long cold nights we crave warm comfort foods to hunker down and spend quality time with our family and friends. Here is a simple slow cooking (Crock-Pot) recipe for Garlic Broccoli Soup, that is both delicious and healthy. This velvety soup flavored with garlic and mellowed with olive oil encourages healthy hearts while offering cruciferous anti-cancer benefits as well. All of this good nutrition in such a sensuous soup!
– 2 bunches broccoli (about 3 pounds)
– 1/2 cup Copper Hill Frantoio extra virgin olive oil
– 8 cloves garlic, sliced (seems like a lot, but it mellows beautifully while cooking)
– 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
– 6 cups good-quality vegetable broth
– 1/4 cup dry white wine
– 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cut off the broccoli florets and chop them. Trim off the bottom 2 inches of each stem, peel them, and thinly slice. Combine the broccoli, oil, garlic, thyme, broth, wine, and lemon juice in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender or transfer to a food processor or blender and puree in batches. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls, passing the toast and Parmesan cheese.
3. Optional – Toasted slices of French bread and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.